Saturday, January 17, 2009

33 Saturdays

** An open letter to football (specifically, the Michigan Wolverines and New England Patriots)

Dear football,

I already miss you. You've been gone for several weeks now and I'm at a loss. Watching other teams in bowl games or in the playoffs just feels like I'm cheating on you. (Although I did giggle with glee when Ohio State lost and the Mannings were knocked out. Who cares if we didn't make it?!)

It's another 33 Saturdays before I see the green grass at the Big House and hear the band play the greatest college fight song of all time (suck it, Notre Dame). And then the following week, I get to see Tom Brady come back with a vengeance. He'll make up for 2008, which was cut too short (suck it, Pollard) and he'll even erase memories of a lucky catch in 2007 (suck it, Tyree). According to one source, he's going to go all Terminator on us and win Comeback Player of the Year!

While you're away, you know what I'll be doing? I'm spending my spring and summer running. Running like Sam McGuffie did in his short stay at Michigan (damn you!). Running like BenJarvus Green-Ellis, a welcome surprise that epitomizes our 2008 season. Running towards the end zone that is September 5th.

In the meantime, I'm going to start watching hockey and once April hits, you know I'll be distracted by baseball, summer, streetfests and oh yeah, graduating. But once September 5th arrives, you have my undivided attention. I promise.

Till then, I count down the thirty-three Saturdays to psyche myself up for the new season. A clean slate and a chance to erase the memories of last year. Just hurry up and get here already…

1 comment: